In an interview with Sky Sports, Rio Ave manager Carlos Carvalhal has confirmed that Flamengo have contacted him regarding the vacant head coach position.
The Brazilian and South American champions are currently on the hunt for a new manager after Jorge Jesus parted ways with them for a second stint with Benfica.
Flamengo generally have the trend of recruiting managers, who have won numerous trophies in their careers, but Carvalhal has mesmerised them with his style of play at Rio Ave.
The northern Portuguese outfit qualified for next season’s Europa League with a fifth-place finish in the Primeira Liga, but they also created history in the process by achieving their highest-ever points tally (55).
Hence, Carvalhal has caught the eye of the Copa Libertadores holders, but the former Swansea City boss has yet to decide whether he will take over the managerial hot seat.
While he acknowledges that Flamengo are one of the biggest clubs in the world, he is particularly concerned with the coronavirus situation, given he has elderly parents and two children, who are diabetic.
“It is one of the biggest clubs in the world. Ninety-five per cent of the managers in the world would accept that challenge. I have a decision to make and I must talk with my family,” He told.
“We must live with the reality and my decision will not just be about football. I will try to anticipate what will happen with the coronavirus in October, November and December. I will try to find the best way to make an important next step in my career but at the same time protect my family.”
Jesus spent only 13 months with Flamengo, but he managed to change the fortunes of the club. The Portuguese guided them to five trophies during his stay and that included the Serie A and Copa Libertadores double, which had not been achieved by any Brazilian side since Pele’s Santos in 1963.
Whoever succeeds him has a huge task on his hands. The club have managed to keep hold of most of their core players from the title-winning squad and the next head coach needs to get them challenging and winning more silverware.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Philadelphia Union clinch first major silverware through Supporters’ Shield
- Points per game to decide final Major League Soccer standings
- Jack Wilshere eyeing move to Major League Soccer to revive career
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers