Brazilian champions Flamengo has confirmed that Domènec Torrent has been hired as their manager following the departure of Jorge Jesus to Benfica earlier this month.
The 58-year-old was the assistant to Pep Guardiola at Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester City for 10 years before he took up the head coach role at New York City FC in June 2018.
Torrent helped the Major League Soccer side to top the Eastern Conference table last season, but he parted ways after their October defeat to Toronto FC in the Conference semi-final.
Earlier this year, he was fancied to return to the City dugout as Guardiola’s assistant after Mikel Arteta opted to take up the head coach position at his former club Arsenal.
However, Guardiola’s former mentor Juan Manuel Lillo eventually got the job in June with Torrent preferring to wait for his venture into club management.
Earlier this week, Rio Ave boss Carlos Carvalhal confirmed the interest from Flamengo, but the capital outfit have finally gone with Torrent to succeed Jesus on a contract until December 2021.
Torrent has a huge challenge on his hands with the reigning Serie A champions, who had a fantastic 13-month spell under Jesus, where they won almost every trophy.
Flamengo won five titles with the Portuguese at the helm and that included the Serie A and Copa Libertadores double. They became the first Brazilian side to achieve the feat since Pele’s Santos in 1963.
Meanwhile, they also produced a superb display in the FIFA Club World Cup final against Liverpool, but were eventually beaten by the solitary goal from Roberto Firmino in added extra-time.
The Rio de Janeiro outfit are certainly on the up after several years of struggle and it remains to be seen whether they can continue their recent dominance under the guidance of Torrent.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Philadelphia Union clinch first major silverware through Supporters’ Shield
- Points per game to decide final Major League Soccer standings
- Jack Wilshere eyeing move to Major League Soccer to revive career
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers