Juventus striker Gonzalo Higuain is understood to be in advanced negotiations over a move to Major League Soccer side Inter Miami, FIFA.com reporter Abdellah Boulma has revealed.
Higuain returned to the Bianconeri after a couple of loan stints at AC Milan and Chelsea last summer and he had a decent 2019/2020 campaign with 11 goals and eight assists from 44 outings.
He still has 10 months remaining on his contract with the Italian champions, but new manager Andrea Pirlo has confirmed that the centre-forward will part ways with the club.
The Argentine has recently been linked with a potential return to the Premier League with Fulham, Newcastle United, West Ham United and Aston Villa credited with an interest.
However, Boulma has revealed that the 32-year-old could be on the verge of joining Inter Miami, where he could be reunited with former Bianconeri teammate Blaise Matuidi.
Matuidi had recently entered the final year of his contract with Juventus and he opted to terminate his deal by mutual consent such that he could join Miami on a free transfer.
Over the past couple of years, Higuain has shown a dip in his performance levels, but he has still contributed at least 11 goals across all competitions per season.
A switch to the United States would mean that he would come up against a lower level of competition and that could bring the best out of him in the backend of his career.
Miami have endured a difficult beginning to their debut MLS season with just one win from seven matches, which include the three group-stage games from the MLS is Back Tournament.
They have struggled in the frontline with just six goals during this period and Higuain would definitely boost their chances of finding the net on a more consistent basis.
Matuidi was signed by Miami with the help of the Targeted Allotment Money and they still have a Designated Player spot at their disposal. Higuain’s arrival would add more glamour to the franchise club, co-owned by David Beckham.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Who will win the 2021 MLS Cup?
- Former Real Madrid manager takes charge at Club America
- Liga MX continue domination of Concacaf Champions League
- Atlanta United appoint former Manchester United star as new manager
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- Club America
- Concacaf Champions League
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers