Houston Dynamo winger Alberth Elis has handed a boost to Scottish champions Celtic after confirming that he wants to make the move to Europe during this summer’s transfer window.
The 24-year-old has spent three years with the Major League Soccer outfit and he has been a consistent performer with 31 goals and 25 assists from 95 appearances in all competitions.
His progress grabbed the attention of Celtic last year, but they were unable to land his signature after their £3m bid was swiftly knocked back by the Western Conference side.
Elis has continued to remain on the radar of the Glasgow giants and he has now opened the door for a fresh challenge in Europe after deciding against a contract renewal at Houston.
“My dream to be able to go to Europe and this is my chance,” He told.
“This is a real opportunity and I think I will make the decision that I will leave Houston and give Europe a go.
“There are a few teams we are already talking to in Europe and Houston have also made me a contract offer, a very good one too.”
The Honduras international is currently contracted to Houston until December 31 and they are likely to consider his sale this summer rather than lose him on a free transfer at the turn of the year.
Houston were obviously reluctant to part ways with their forward for a knockdown price last term, but their stance could change this time around due to the player’s contract length and the financial implications of the coronavirus pandemic.
Aside from Celtic, Stoke City and Fenerbahce have also been credited with an interest in the former Monterrey youngster but the Hoops are probably the ideal destination for him.
Stoke are currently struggling at the bottom end of the Championship table and they could yet face relegation to League One with just three points separating them from the drop zone with nine games to play.
Fenerbahce, meanwhile, are no longer a dominant side in the Turkish Super Lig and they are currently seventh in the standings with a 13-point deficit to table-toppers Trabzonspor.
Hence, Neil Lennon’s side are the best suited team for him and he will have the chance to face elite clubs in the Champions League, suppose the Hoops make through the qualifying rounds.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Philadelphia Union clinch first major silverware through Supporters’ Shield
- Points per game to decide final Major League Soccer standings
- Jack Wilshere eyeing move to Major League Soccer to revive career
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers