Los Angeles Galaxy have revealed that midfielder Jonathan dos Santos will miss the MLS is Back Tournament after having undergone an invasive hernia surgery.
The Mexico international has been a key part in the club’s midfield setup since joining them from Villarreal three years ago, but he won’t take any part in the upcoming tournament after the operation which will keep him out of action for six weeks.
In the absence of Dos Santos, Perry Kitchen is likely to fill in the defensive midfield position. The 28-year-old had started the club’s first game of the regular season earlier this year and he came as a substitute for Dos Santos in their second and final match before the league’s suspension due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Meanwhile, Panama youngster Carlos Harvey was recently promoted from the reserve team last week. The 20-year-old will provide the additional back-up for the holding midfield role during the course of the 26-team tournament in Orlando, which starts on July 8.
LA Galaxy have been drawn alongside Portland Timbers, Houston Dynamo and arch-rivals Los Angeles FC in Group F. They will start their campaign against Timbers on July 13 before facing Los Angeles in the El Trafico five days later.
Their final group game against Houston is scheduled to be played on July 23. The top-two teams from each group will automatically qualify for the round of 16 stage of the competition while they will be joined by the four best third-placed clubs.
All the matches will be played at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in Disneyland. The knockout phase will begin from July 25 with the final set to be played on August 11. The winner of the 54-game tournament will earn a direct berth into next season’s CONCACAF Champions League.
- Who will win the 2021 MLS Cup?
- Former Real Madrid manager takes charge at Club America
- Liga MX continue domination of Concacaf Champions League
- Atlanta United appoint former Manchester United star as new manager
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- Club America
- Concacaf Champions League
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers