A club from Liga MX won the Concacaf Champions League for the 12th season running after Tigres came from behind to beat Major League Soccer side Los Angeles Galaxy.
Los Angeles Galaxy had reached the Champions League final for the first time in their three-year history and they looked on course to pull off a surprise win after Diego Rossi scored with their first shot on target after the hour mark.
The Uruguayan forward was brilliantly put through on goal by Mark-Anthony Kaye and he found the back of the net after looping his shot over the advancing Nahuel Guzman in Tigres’ goal.
However, their advantage was shortlived as Hugo Ayala managed to level the scores just 11 minutes later. The centre-back managed to head in the equaliser from a corner after he beat his marker to the near post.
With the game potentially heading to added extra-time, Luis Rodriguez made a stunning advancing run from right-back while pulling three players towards him.
That meant that Andre-Pierre Gignac was left unguarded in a central position just outside of the box and he scored from the pass laid by the Mexico international.
The Frenchman won the game for Tigres with his sixth goal from as many matches in the competition while he was also handed the Golden Boot for being the top scorer.
With the victory, Tigres won their first ever Champions League final after four attempts. They will be in FIFA Club World Cup action in Qatar in February next year.
Meanwhile, Los Angeles could not secure their second major trophy in history. Since their entry as an MLS expansion franchise, the club have only won the MLS Supporters’ Shield for topping the overall league table in 2019.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Former Real Madrid manager takes charge at Club America
- Liga MX continue domination of Concacaf Champions League
- Atlanta United appoint former Manchester United star as new manager
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- Club America
- Concacaf Champions League
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers