Liga MX have been forced to postpone the opening game of the Guardianes season between Atletico San Luis and FC Juarez following a number of positive coronavirus cases at the latter of those clubs.
The game was originally scheduled to be played on Thursday evening, but it has now been postponed to Monday. Liga MX have, however, clarified that the match could be dependent on the full PCR results carried out at Juarez.
“The game will be played on Monday, July 27 at 6 p.m. in Estadio Alfonso Lastras. The above pending the full results carried out at FC Juarez,” a statement released by Liga MX read.
The 2020 Clausura season was brought to an abrupt end earlier in March after the coronavirus outbreak. While no champion was declared, the top two in Cruz Arul and Leon were awarded with the CONCACAF Champions League berths for next year.
Liga MX recently renamed the 2020 Apertura as the ‘Guardianes 2020’. However, the league has been stylishly named as Guard1anes for the current campaign in honour of the health workers fighting against the pandemic.
With the San Luis-Juarez game postponed, Friday’s clash between Club Necaxa and Tigres UANL to set to become the season opener and the first competitive game in the country in more than four months.
Earlier on Monday, Necaxa announced that they had five positive cases in their camp with one player and four members of the staff affected. Tomorrow’s match is still expected to go ahead as planned.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Philadelphia Union clinch first major silverware through Supporters’ Shield
- Points per game to decide final Major League Soccer standings
- Jack Wilshere eyeing move to Major League Soccer to revive career
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers