Major League Soccer have confirmed that the regular season will resume following the completion of the MLS is Back Tournament in Florida on Sunday night.
The campaign was halted after just a couple of games due to the coronavirus pandemic in March and it was thereafter decided that a mini tournament would be held in the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex.
Initially, it was planned to be a 26-team tournament starting from July 8, but the clubs were cut down to 24 after FC Dallas and Nashville SC were unable to participate due to multiple coronavirus cases within their squads.
After five long weeks, hosts Orlando City are scheduled to face Portland Timbers in the final on August 11 and within the next 24 hours, the regular season is set to recommence.
The three group stage games during the tournament are considered as a part of the regular campaign. All teams are expected to play 23 matches during the league phase.
Hence, there are 18 games left for the majority of the teams, barring Nashville and Dallas, who have taken no part in the one-off event in Orlando.
In order to compensate, the duo are set to face each other on three occasions. They will initially restart the league season at the Toyota Stadium in Texas on August 12 before playing at the same location four days later.
The third meeting between the clubs will be scheduled during the remainder of the 2020 regular campaign. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the current MLS season will be the first , where each team does not play every other club at least once.
Major League Soccer have revealed that the first phase between August 12 and September 14 will involve six matches – three home and three away, which will be played against regional opponents.
The regular campaign is set to conclude on November 8. The MLS Cup play-offs will be contested from November 20 with the final scheduled for December 12. Compared to the previous season, the playoff field has been expanded from 14 to 18 teams.
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Philadelphia Union clinch first major silverware through Supporters’ Shield
- Points per game to decide final Major League Soccer standings
- Jack Wilshere eyeing move to Major League Soccer to revive career
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers