Major League Soccer is set to return after an extended three-month break due to the coronavirus outbreak. Two matchdays were already completed in the 2020 regular season before the campaign was suspended in mid-March, but those results won’t be considered for the restart.
The season is set to recommence from July 8 in a tournament-style format in Florida and the 26 Major League Soccer clubs have been split into six groups. Group A alone will have six teams while the remaining five groups will consist of four clubs.
Here is the group stage draw:
Nashville have been shifted to the Eastern Conference for the remainder of the season. While Group A has more clubs, they will only play three matches during the group stage, similar to the other teams. Those fixtures have been pre-determined with their positioning during the draw.
The top-two from each group will progress to the knockout phase. Aside from those teams, the four best-ranked third-placed sides will also join them for the round of 16 stage of the tournament, which is scheduled to begin from July 25.
All games are expected to be played behind closed doors at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Bay Lake, Florida. The opening game will see local sides Orlando City and Inter Miami face each other. August 11th has been set as the final date for the ‘MLS is Back Tournament‘.
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Philadelphia Union clinch first major silverware through Supporters’ Shield
- Points per game to decide final Major League Soccer standings
- Jack Wilshere eyeing move to Major League Soccer to revive career
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers