Major League Soccer have confirmed that Nashville SC have become the second club after FC Dallas to be withdrawn from the MLS is Back Tournament due to the significant number of coronavirus cases within the squad.
Earlier this month, Dallas were excluded from the tournament after 10 players and one coach tested positive for COVID-19 following their entry into the bio-secure environment in Orlando, Florida.
Within hours of the decision, last season’s MVP and Los Angeles FC forward Carlos Vela confirmed his absence from the five-week event, citing the risky pregnancy of his wife amid the pandemic.
It has now been revealed that Nashville, who are playing their maiden MLS season, won’t take any part in the tournament after nine players tested positive for the coronavirus following their arrival in Orlando.
With the exclusion of both Dallas and Nashville, there has been an equal split of four teams among the six groups. Chicago Fire from Group A have been moved to Group B and they will now face Seattle Sounders, San Jose Earthquakes and Vancouver Whitecaps.
The MLS is Back Tournament started on Wednesday night with a Florida derby between Orlando City and Inter Miami in Group A. Orlando came up 2-1 victors after Portuguese star and captain Nani scored a dramatic winner in the 97th minute of the encounter.
The other group game was held earlier on Thursday. Philadelphia Union got the better of New York City FC by a 1-0 score. Alejandro Bedoya lead his team to three points by scoring the solitary goal following the hour mark. New York City dominated the possession and chances statistics, but failed to find the back of the net.
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Philadelphia Union clinch first major silverware through Supporters’ Shield
- Points per game to decide final Major League Soccer standings
- Jack Wilshere eyeing move to Major League Soccer to revive career
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers