Uruguay’s all-time goalscorer Luis Suarez won’t feature in the upcoming CONMEBOL World Cup qualifier against Brazil after testing positive for the coronavirus, The Uruguayan Football Association have confirmed.
Suarez has been in fine form for club and country this season and he recently scored from the penalty spot in the 3-0 World Cup qualifier win over Colombia on the road.
He was expected to start in the front two alongside Edinson Cavani against the Selecao on Tuesday, but that won’t be the case any longer after contracting the coronavirus.
Aside from the Atletico Madrid star, veteran goalkeeper Rodrigo Munoz and press officer Matias Faral also tested positive for COVID-19 in the lead-up to tomorrow’s clash at the Estadio Centenario.
Elsewhere, regular left-back Matias Vina will be another absentee for the encounter due to the same reason. The 23-year-old was found to be COVID-19 positive shortly after the 3-0 triumph over Colombia on the road.
In the absence of Suarez, young striker Darwin Nunez should play alongside Cavani upfront. The 21-year-old has impressed in his first three caps for the nation with two goals.
Meanwhile, there could be a senior debut for Nacional defender Agustin Oliveros in the place of Vina. The 22-year-old is primarily a centre-back, but is also comfortable on the left side of the backline.
Uruguay are currently on six points after their first three qualifier games. They are three points adrift of Brazil, who have made the perfect start to their campaign and are top of the standings.
Oscar Tabarez’s side have not beaten their South American counterparts in any competition since 2001 and there have been three draws and seven defeats during the previous ten meetings.
The Selecao are also missing key players such as Neymar, Coutinho and Casemiro for the contest and it remains to be seen whether Uruguay can end their 19-year winless streak without the presence of Suarez upfront.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and 11v11.com
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Philadelphia Union clinch first major silverware through Supporters’ Shield
- Points per game to decide final Major League Soccer standings
- Jack Wilshere eyeing move to Major League Soccer to revive career
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers