Will Bruin salvaged a 1-1 draw for Seattle Sounders against Portland Timbers on Thursday night after he scored from a corner kick in the third-time of second-half stoppage time.
The Cascadia rivals had already met on three separate occasions this term and Timbers had the upper hand with two victories to one. They made the perfect start on Centurylink Field by opening the scoring after just 10 minutes.
Andres Flores, who made his first appearance for the club since September 2019, tapped home from a rebound save from goalkeeper Stefan Frei. It was his first goal in any competition for the side since October 2018 when he scored a late consolation in a 2-1 defeat to Vancouver Whitecaps.
The visitors managed to comfortably hold onto the advantage until the interval. In the second half, Sounders dominated the proceedings in terms of chances and possession, but they were made to rue for their failure to test Timbers goalkeeper Steve Clark.
Sounders had clear-cut scoring opportunities through Nicolas Lodeiro and Jordan Morris to find the equaliser, but both fired over the cross bar from point-blank range. Meanwhile, Kelvin Leerdam also mistimed an open header over Clark’s goal.
Sounders managed 14 shots without testing Clark between the sticks, but eventually salvaged a point through Bruin, who tapped home the equaliser in the 93rd minute after he was left unmarked at the back post from a corner.
It was only Bruin’s second goal of the year and his first in MLS since April 2019 when he scored a brace against Toronto. The result has meant that Sounders and Timbers remain first and second respectively on the table, but the former lead with the superior goal difference and one game in hand.
Meanwhile, both teams have gone winless for three Major League Soccer games on the trot. Timbers will be most disappointed with the outcome as their defence let them down against a weakened Sounders lineup. They have now conceded 12 goals from the final 15 minutes of games this term.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Former Real Madrid manager takes charge at Club America
- Liga MX continue domination of Concacaf Champions League
- Atlanta United appoint former Manchester United star as new manager
- Three talking points after the first round of the MLS Cup play-offs
- Inter Miami bow out of MLS Cup play-offs with defeat to Nashville SC
- Uruguay 0-2 Brazil: Three talking points
- Uruguay’s Luis Suarez to miss Brazil clash after testing positive for COVID-19
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Peru vs Argentina
- FIFA World Cup qualifier preview: Uruguay vs Brazil
- Los Angeles FC to face Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup play-offs
- Atlanta United
- Atletico Mineiro
- Boca Juniors
- Club America
- Concacaf Champions League
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami
- International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy
- Liga MX
- Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC
- Orlando City
- Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Kansas City
- World Cup qualifiers